Pages

Friday 23 September 2016

We should All Be Feminists Review


We Should All Be FeministsWe Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I would like today to ask that we begin to dream about and plan for a different world. A fairer world. A world of happier men and happier women who are truer to themselves

I don't have much experience in this feminism thing , this is the first book i read about the matter
all i knew about it were some TV things , some opinions were considering feminism a negative concept , some other opinions from feminists them selves proved the latter.
things seemed like dividing the human race . like " women should role the world " because women should not , as men should not too, Humanity should . through its most competent individuals regardless to their gender .
That somehow felt wrong
then i decided " lets read a book " , isn't that what we always do when in doubt ?

and here i read this
if feminism is a call of humanity
then WE SHOULD ALL BE FEMINISTS
then Women and Men should be Feminists. because feminism " inspite of the name " is defending the human rights against the gender abuse in general

male abuse :
We do a great disservice to boys in how we raise them. We stifle the humanity of boys. We define masculinity in a very narrow way. Masculinity becomes this hard small cage and we put boys inside the cage. We teach boys to be afraid of fear. We teach boys to be afraid of weakness, of vulnerability. We teach them to mask their true selves because they have to be, in Nigeria speak, “hard man.”



and female abuse :
then we do a much greater disservice to girls because we raise them to cater to fragile egos of men. We teach girls to shrink themselves, to make themselves smaller. We say to girls, “You can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you would threaten the man.



it touched me how near to my heart and thoughts this was because though i was raised in a family that respected my choices , my parents are my biggest support , they've been always there to support my ambitions , to encourage me and I always saw proud looks in their eyes toward me even more than toward my brother
But ,still i am raised in a society in which there is uncountable number of girls who are not offered enough education because they are Girls and the same time I hear stories how so shame it was that a man was so vulnerable when he should have not . even if we have to admit that the first disservice is greater than the latter .


and here is this assay , chimamanda ngozi adichie , though even her name is difficult for me to pronounce
She , somewhere in the other side of the world , had written my thoughts in words.
she is aiming to tell that people should stop being self-conscious that they are women or men
that we should not live as reactions to the gender expectations , but as separate masters of our own choices and experiences ..

The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing HOW WE ARE .
imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn’t have the weight of gender expectations.



being a woman doesn't determine who you are or puts limits for what you should be
being a feminist . i get from this book , as i haven't that much experience in the subject matter , doesn't mean a woman who plots against men , who hates make up and skirts , who deletes all the differences
because differences they exist as chimamanda said Boys and girls are undeniably different, biologically. But socialization exaggerates the differences, and then it becomes a self-fulfilling process. , without putting out of consideration that these differences are no determination of ones capability or worth .
they are differences in their own
like air and water
different but that doesn't shape their importance .
i think that's what both society and the extremist feminists should get ..

I knew that because I was female, I would automatically have to prove my worth. And I was worried that if I looked too feminine, I would not be taken seriously. I really wanted to wear my shiny lip gloss and my girly skirt, but I decided not to. I wore a very serious, very manly, and very ugly suit.



I have chosen to no longer be apologetic for my femaleness and my femininity. And I want to be respected in all of my femaleness because I deserve to be.I like politics and history and I am happiest when having a good argument about ideas . and I am girly , I am happily girly


IF you have any recommendations for me in this matter please do tell
if you know some extremist feminism books do give me a rec too
because ! i want to do a comparison

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment