Pages

Tuesday 27 September 2016

Sand And Foam Book Review


Sand and FoamSand and Foam by Kahlil Gibran
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I AM FOREVER walking upon these shores,
Betwixt the sand and the foam,
The high tide will erase my foot-prints,
And the wind will blow away the foam.
But the sea and the shore will remain
Forever.


this book is one of my first favorites , its one of these books i lost count on how many times I've read , Gibran himself was one of my first favorite writers , he even may have been the first , i read all his books , everyone of his works (Arabic versions) when i was in highschool , and though i loved all his works by then , only two books remained with me , Sand and Foam and The Madman , the second which i am intending on re-reading just after writing this review .
This book is more like a book of quotation, where Gibran writes on many subjects . but , We can also notice an order in its contents, a set of order picks up .
I love the writing style , the way it magically unlocks one's soul , he throws life around his words , there's a sense of an eternal beauty into them .

though its too hard and even unfair to quote only parts of it , to choose some as elites , but still , i may like these the most :


**It was but yesterday I thought myself a fragment quivering without rhythm in the sphere of life.
Now I know that I am the sphere, and all life in rhythmic fragments moves within me.
They say to me in their awakening, "You and the world you live in are but a grain of sand upon the infinite shore of an infinite sea."
And in my dream I say to them, "I am the infinite sea, and all worlds are but grains of sand upon my shore."


**Do not the spirits who dwell in the ether envy man his pain?


**My house says to me, "Do not leave me, for here dwells your past."
And the road says to me, "Come and follow me, for I am your future."
And I say to both my house and the road, "I have no past, nor have I a future. If I stay here, there is a going in my staying; and if I go there is a staying in my going. Only love and death will change all things."


**There is a space between man's imagination and man's attainment that may only be traversed by his longing.


**If winter should say, "Spring is in my heart," who would believe winter?


**How can you sing if your mouth be filled with food?
How shall your hand be raised in blessing if it is filled with gold?


**Only an idiot and a genius break man-made laws; and they are the nearest to the heart of God.


**Oftentimes I have hated in self-defense; but if I were stronger I would not have used such a weapon.


**Your saying to me, "I do not understand you," is praise beyond my worth, and an insult you do not deserve.


**If the Milky Way were not within me how should I have seen it or known it?


**There lies a green field between the scholar and the poet; should the scholar cross it he becomes a wise man; should the poet cross it, he becomes a prophet.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment