Pages

Monday 23 January 2017

Dear Jhon Book Review


Dear JohnDear John by Nicholas Sparks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Actual Rating : 4.5 stars

"I've learned that memories can have a physical, almost living presence, and in this, Savannah and I are different as well. If hers are stars in the nighttime sky, mine are the haunted empty spaces in between "



Another romance written by Nicholas sparks . Sparks novels are all written in an easy manner that you'd read his books in a breeze . i loved this story and actually i loved the way it presented love even more . because if for the general outline of the story its the type of thing that you may have read often , but then from the same plot you can make different stories with different perspectives .
not long ago I've read Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez , and surprisingly inspite of all the difference in the writing style , these two stories share the same concept , However , even with the fact the Marquez is great with dealing with words but his novel got only two stars from me . and for the same reason i loved Dear Jhon , i resented the other , The way it represented Love . Though i haven't written a review of LITTOC yet but i'm willing to do soon and when i do , big part of it would be criticizing how obsession and many other mutilated concepts were tucked under the veil of love . while here it might have felt better because it was flawed and realistic yet it was selfless and i think , if anything , that's the essence of love .

John's father character made a great impression on me , I just loved this character that its a whole big part of the reason me loving this novel , it was the most poignant, i cant but feel deep respect for Bill Tyree , the way he led a life that demanded too high of expectations yet still managed is so worth a veneration , the whole story had a big deal of heartache but i have to say that the only one that pushed my tears off the edge was his last days with his son , it was wounding to see his light that never shined enough yet shined always dying out .

The end was bittersweet , it was the best Sparks could have offered his story , because at some point i thought that it will end Lovy-Dovy with obstacles swept out of the way when the writer is over with the required angst of a romantic novel .But then he didn't .
Sparks is a heart breaker , yes . but he has mastered doing it so well that you wouldn't mind , the end had this undertone of extreme sorrow , but still it made me smile , i just know that it had felt right . it did make me sad and i had my share of heart ache while reading it but i like that it glorifies love and offers it the very precious trait of being "selfless " and "unconditional ".
So , the story wasn't perfect , it had few moments here and there that may have been cliche , its a romantic that many may consider sappy , i mean I would have dropped down my rating if it wasn't for the end that gave the whole story a new shade of color , if it wasn't for the father - son relationship , if not for it dealing with an important topic as autism , but you know what ? the important thing is that i didn't .
i didn't drop my rating and it means that i loved it , that it compensated and twisted every now and then to change your mind , and there were these pages that I had to re-read to let them sink in my heart .
so all in all , Its nice , it will give you warm fuzzies yet will make you cry . it carries the right message and is an easy read . Generally , it was worth the read .

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment